Back to Index
AGI x AGF Webinar: Evaluating Africa's COVID-19 Responses – Managing Risks and Setting Priorities
Date: July 22, 2020
Time: 1700 - 1800
Watch the replay here.
- Throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, government policy responses have been slow, testing regimes have been poor, and medical personnel have been lacking.
- The flaws of healthcare regimes and infrastructure throughout the continent have been exposed to varying degrees. Many sub-Saharan countries have few ICU beds and have sent patients home for treatment, increasing the risk of infection.
- The virus is threatening the immense progress that Africa has made in recent years – life expectancy has decreased, education facilities have closed, and gender-based violence is rising.
- Two positive aspects of the crisis: Cooperation among countries through the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has been effective, while partnerships between countries and international organizations and NGOs have been helpful.
- Two lessons: First, African governance needs to be improved to increase transparency and encourage pragmatic leadership during crises. Second, investments in technology, infrastructure and education must increase to equip the next generation with better tools to tackle a future pandemic and other new challenges.
About the event:
Date/ Time: Jul 22, Wed 0500 Washington DC; 0900 The Gambia; 1000 Nigeria; 1100 South Africa; 1700 Hong Kong
Apart from certain countries such as South Africa, Africa has relatively low per-capita Covid-19 infection rates compared with other parts of the world. But the economic and health challenges are significant because of the continent’s relatively less developed economies and infrastructure.
As the pandemic continues to ravage the world, what policy responses should African governments take to secure livelihoods and economic recovery while containing the virus? Besides debt relief from the World Bank and other multilateral institutions, what else could be done to provide the fiscal space to help African countries survive and thrive in the post-pandemic world? How do geopolitics, particularly the US-China strategic competition, affect Africa’s fight against the pandemic?
Join AsiaGlobal Fellows Charity Amayaenvbo (Nigeria), George Lwanda (South Africa), Clayton Hazvinei Vhumbunu (Zimbabwe) and Kadidia Konare (Mali) as they offer on-the-ground insights on Africa’s Covid-19 responses.
All are welcome.
AGI x AGF webinar series: An intellectual exchange platform for AsiaGlobal Fellows globally to interact with the leadership of the Asia Global Institute and the institute's network of experts on important global policy issues. All are welcome.
Back to Index