Back to Index
AGI x AGF Webinar: Latin America - Leadership Tests in the Pandemic
Date: June 10, 2020
Time: 0930 - 1030
Watch the replay here.
Panelists reviewed the responses to Covid-19 in their respective countries – Mexico, Brazil, Chile and Argentina. They drew the following lessons:
- In most democratic countries, having a strong civil society is important as this gives citizens the opportunity to voice concerns and make governments accountable.
- The crisis has exposed the precarity of people’s livelihoods. The pandemic is an opportunity to rethink social and economic models and strengthen public-health systems.
- The crisis has also put the spotlight on social and economic inequalities in a region that is one of the most unequal in the world.
- The pandemic underscores the need for making policies based on facts and evidence and not on imagined situations and conspiracy theories. Societies need to develop a deeper connection to truth and give more value to science.
- The crisis is sending a strong message about the need for greater collaboration in societies, across regions and globally.
- Technology will play an important role as a driver of greater equality and fairness, addressing such challenges as the unequal access to healthcare and medicines.
About the event:
Latin America, particularly Brazil, has become a focus of attention as the Covid-19 pandemic continues. The economic and social devastation caused by the public-health crisis will have a long-lasting impact on what is one of the world’s most unequal regions.
In this webinar, AsiaGlobal Fellows and the University of Hong Kong professors from Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico will discuss the situations in different Latin American countries, assess how different leaders have coped with the coronavirus challenge, examine the economic and social measures taken, and consider the geopolitical dimensions of the crisis, including the impact on the relationships between South American countries and China. The panelists will share their perspectives on the post-pandemic outlook for the region and what lessons can be drawn from the Latin American experience.
AGI x AGF webinar series: An intellectual exchange platform for AsiaGlobal Fellows globally to interact with the leadership of the Asia Global Institute and the institute's network of experts on important global policy issues. All are welcome.
Back to Index