Back to Index
AGI x AGF Webinar: Leadership in a Post-Truth World
Date: February 02, 2021
Time: 1700 - 1800
Watch replay: https://bit.ly/3pGd91H
- Though ‘truth decay’ is not a new phenomenon, the challenge of recent years has been the proliferation of ideas of mass deception made more severe by inequality and the rise of populist and nationalist administrations.
- For the US, the confluence of economic inequality, the 2008 Global Financial Crisis and the rise of under-regulated social media platforms have fostered fear and mistrust in vulnerable communities.
- Having had to combat fake news and Soviet propaganda, Caucasus countries such as Georgia have learned that the most important tools for building trust are strong democratic institutions.
- To the extent that countries can collaborate and develop solutions for the post-pandemic global economy, trust can be restored among populations and end the cycle of ‘truth decay’.
- Greater education among all groups of society is the long-term solution to fake news, but in the short-term states must work together to shut down malign actors spreading disinformation.
AGI x AGF webinar series: An intellectual exchange platform for AsiaGlobal Fellows globally to interact with the leadership of the Asia Global Institute and the institute's network of experts on important global policy issues. All are welcome.
Back to Index